Last couple of weeks have been interesting. I kept on doing some samples to try out different thickness of acrylic yarn to weave with the PET yarn, they all work pretty good but I like thinner ones the best. With some help from Emilie in Lima we found a company where we can get the yarn from and now Charlot is working on making that work.
I put a quite a lot of effort into finding clip on feet for the stool but it seemed impossible to find the right kind of feet in the right color and size. After discussing this with Gaspard, he came up with the idea of 3d printing them from recycled filament. What a well fitting solution for this problem. He has already made them at this point and it’s working perfectly.
The plan with the weaving was to weave it with a comb, we lasercutted them ourselves and I tried it out but it didn’t work great. So me and Charlot went for a visit to Leslie Eisinger who will be making the prototypes of the belts. She has a lot of knowledge in weaving and textiles. It was fantastic to meet with her and I got a lot of new information and answers to questions that I’d been struggling with. I basically found out that the comb was never going to work but Leslie showed me a different method of doing band-weaving that would probably work. We decided to call it the weaving-guitar.
This meant that I also needed to add a spacer for the beginning and the end to keep everything in place. I made some try outs by lasercutting them out of acrylic sheets and it’s going to work fine.
From the pictures from Leslie I made a draft of the weaving-guitar in my little workshop, took me a while to figure out how it actually worked but it all came together. From there on I did some adjustments and then I decided to make a new one from stronger material because the PET yarn is so strong that the MDF was almost breaking after I found a way to tightening it of well enough. It worked great untill I came closer to the end and I couldn’t get it to work for the final part. I swear to god I tried all different kind of adjustments and just starred at this weird machine for hours untill I finally came up with a solution. Thats when the weaving-guitar got some extra handles and it actually worked!
I did some more adjustments to it and it has become more user friendly at this point. I really like how it looks actually but that was not really the point it the beginning. Form follows function. Now I am going to make a real size belt today and tomorrow and if it goes well then this can go to Leslie very soon so she can try it out and at the end make the prototypes for us.
Things are looking pretty positive at this point.